What is composting?
A form of waste disposal where organic food scraps decompose into a rich soil fertilizer.
Why compost? There are many benefits:
- Reduce landfill waste
- Reduce greenhouse gasses
- Help revitalize and filter local water sources
- Add nutrients to the soil
- Recycle kitchen and yard waste
- Give back to the Earth
Who can compost?
Anyone who has leftover food scraps.
How to compost?
- Use a backyard bin OR
- Use a compost pick-up service (see ZeroWasteCED.org for a list) OR
- Drop off at a free community compost location such as the Radix Center, 153 Grand Street in Albany, or Tivoli Preserve, Wilkins Avenue Entrance
When to get started?
NOW! It’s easier than you think, and the Earth will be the better for it. If you need help, talk to someone on the Earth Care Team. The Radix Center is not far from WPC – you can drop off your compost before or after church! We started composting several months ago and are hooked on doing it. It is amazing how much less garbage you have when compostables are removed.
Margaret Randall for the Earth Care Team