Prior to COVID, Westminster held in-person events at Schuyler Inn, benefiting the residents, who are homeless families. Holiday parties, as well as book and winter wear giveaways were well attended and enjoyed by all.
Schuyler Inn has an even greater need these days for winter wear for their younger residents. In the past we’ve been able to do Winter Wear Giveaway events (led by Nancy Ost) where scarves, hats, mittens, and gloves were displayed and the families would come in and pick out what they needed. We are regrouping and taking a different approach this season. Rather than holding an in-person event, we’re planning to gather items and deliver them to Schuyler Inn for distribution.
Winter Wear Giveaway
In keeping with our Advent theme of Matthew 25, reaching out to those most in need – especially children, we are inviting Westminster members and friends to bring winter wear donations to WPC.
- Collection: Each Sunday through Advent (December 24)
- What to donate: Winter hats, scarves, mittens/gloves, and socks (GENTLY used winter wear is also welcome)
** Please place donations in the container labeled “Winter Wear Donations” in the back of the sanctuary and label these items with the size and gender. This will save the organizers a tremendous amount of time. Thank you!
- 0 – 3 years old: 14 Girls / 18 Boys
- 4 – 6 years old: 16 Girls / 22 Boys
- 7 – 10 years old: 18 Girls / 26 Boys
- 11 years old: 12 Girls / 17 Boys
Monetary donations are also gratefully accepted:
Monetary donations would also be appreciated so we can purchase items needed that are not donated by WPC members and friends.
- Online at wpcalbany.org/give (select “General Fund” in the pull-down menu and write “Schuyler Inn” in the memo line)
- Checks also accepted payable to: Westminster Church (“Schuyler Inn” in memo line)
Blanket and Pillow Drive through December 12th
In addition, Schuyler Inn is having a blanket (Twin size) and pillow drive through 12/12. We’ve currently bought 10 pillows at a very good price to donate.
- Blankets: Twin size and gently used blankets are welcome
- Pillows: Please, new pillows only
~Submitted by Gail Garrison